Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Editing "The Dawnwolf" + NaNoWriMo 2012 + Word Of The Day/Writing Tip

Only 5 more scenes remain in the first edit of my NaNoWriMo novel, "The Dawnwolf". 5 scenes, 5-6 days.
The first edit will be continued through this month as I get it all "aligned" properly (there were some errors in past scenes that I didn't think to correct until later). After that, though, the big-boss second edit comes in... New scenes and storyline changes for everyone!
So, now you're probably wondering when I'm actually going to release this thing. I said earlier that it would be late March to early April, but its been pushed back to late April to early May. Somewhere between there, I'm likely going to put in a month-long break to freshen myself up for the third edit!
I haven't talked about the third edit. It's basically a look-over and cleanup after the second. In a sens,e it's really no different than the first edit except for the fact it is, in fact, easier.
Guess what? There's probably going to be a fourth and final edit! It will take place in the new document that I format the story in, which will actually be fun. I'm glad I found my free version of Microsoft Word the other day... after about a year or two. Big boo to Wolf... I could've sworn it wasn't there before!

Anyway, with that out of the way, here's the latest; if you've been with me for a while, you might know that I was writing a novel called "ELDENDOR: The Rise of Dagria".

For those of you who don't, I'll explain; it's about an teen-aged half-elf, half-Fawnui (Fawnui are strange tribal people in the next country over from Kingdom Eldendor, Lefanui) who lives in a wooded village called Eela. He works as the shepherd for the village leader's flock, but he's no saint among the lambs.
His name is Almanzo. He's quite a sassy, rude, overly confident young man who can't make friends with any of the villagers. The girl, Heather, who works in the barn beside his house (and also the girl who gave him his horse), is the only one he's even remotely nice to, even though he can't stand how calm and normal she is.
Basically, he gets caught up in a forest fire after going to rescue a missing sheep, and he's saved from certain death by an enormous, muscular, horny, red, dragon-like beast named Eldendor. That's only half the description of his appearance...
After a series of strange events, Almanzo finds himself caught up in more danger than he's ever want to be. He meets a few new people who help him in his new quest, which is to dethrone the tyrannic King Ganthus, who kicked Eldendor from the throne which was rightfully his after a horrible war.

That's "ELDENDOR: The Rise of Dagria", roughly explained and simply put.
No, it wasn't forgotten in the dust-- I dug it up again the other day to read, and I laughed until I cried. No joke, bro. Eldendor talks in all caps with no exclamation points or question marks, ever. His classic "WHAT." set me off for sure!
I tell you what! I love that story. It had some flaws, plot holes, countless spelling errors, and more, but if it was fixed up, I could probably continue it and make it pretty epic. I'm thinking of finishing it up after "The Dawnwolf" is released, and then doing the second half for NaNoWriMo!
No, it's not cheating. It's "ELDENDOR", part one and part two! It cuts off at 40,000 words, and judging by where I had stopped, I could get 10,000 more words in and continue to part two for NaNoWriMo.
Actually, thinking it over, I think I will!

This blog post is terribly long. Before I forget, here's your Word Of The Day. This one happens to be one of my favorites:

"Pulchritudinous": 
Having great physical beauty, comeliness.

And your Writing Tip for the day:
When you've hit Writer's Block, it's always good to backtrack. Read your novel and find what's interfering; whether it be a plot hole, a character out of place, or a problematic change of events, it's always fixable. Sometimes it takes a dramatic decision, or just some time in the thinking cap. If your brain overloads, take a break, then come back and think some more.

Wolf




No comments:

Post a Comment