Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"The Dawnwolf" Second Edit (Last Half) + Writing Tip & Word Of The Day

Yesterday, I melted my brain into a puddle and immediately turned it into scrambled eggs-- as disgusting as it sounds.
I had to make a choice between a comical scene or a tragic scene in my novel. The original, comical scene was really, REALLY funny, but the tragic scene I had in mind would really add to the feeling of the story. It was a lot to think about...
Soon, I made up my mind, however; the comical scene leads up to a chain of terribly convenient events, as well a a couple of pointless ones. No feeling; it was almost as if Albira, Mori and Luther were a traveling band of entertainers as oppose to an odd group of three with one goal.
I wanted to add some DRAMA. Well, sort of drama. Not really. Okay, sorry, tragedy... Instead of the house magically standing after the tornado, I'm going to make it damage a lot of the houses and completely collapse it. What then? Where will Mori's sick family live now?
Well, you'll just have to find out, won't you?
At any rate, I'm taking out the comical scenes, putting them in my "Deleted Scenes" document, and replacing them with new ones.
And I really need to hustle with my cover image. I might work on it later today or tonight... I have a painting and a drawing. I'm going to finish both and decide which one I like better and what I'm going to use.


Writing Tip:
I'm quoting something someone said about "Telling" in your writing:
"When our goal is simply to inform, not to persuade or engage, TELLING does the job quite well — particularly if it’s part of an overall strategy."
The same person also said "Show, Don't (Just) Tell". I can agree with that; your whole novel should be engaging, and Showing is what helps with that. However, Showing can also be overdone, and MUST be balanced with Telling. You don't always have to show the character's rage to their full extent; I know I said earlier that you shouldn't just say "So-and-so was angry", but you can still, sometimes, do just that and pull it off. Consider the way you word it; description is required in both Showing and Telling.

I, myself, am still learning on the subject of "Showing and Telling". I find that it's quite important to know, but useless if you don't practice it.
I don't recommend you take all of this particular advice of mine to heart and carry it everywhere you go, as I haven't completely figured it all out myself. But this is "Writing Progress", is it not? Once I dissect the details, I'll share the combination to their full extent.


Word Of The Day:


Advantageous:
Affording advantage; beneficial.


Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment