Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28: Editing "The Dawnwolf"

The first edit is almost done! About a week left. My calculations were incorrect last time, but I've adjusted them accurately.
This edit will have to be redone, though. There's a lot I missed or decided to change during the midway point.
Thankfully, I was able to discover the "Find and Replace" option in yWriter, which I had utterly missed before, so when name changing rolls around, it'll be a breeze.

I still have yet to buy my white paint for the cover image... I have the outline done, and I've been going back to edit it bit by bit, but I kind of wonder if I want a different design entirely...
Ahhh, well, I've got enough paint paper. Let's see how it goes!

Along with all of that, I've been reading a lot of different writing books that were just lying about the house, unread. Currently, I'm setting my focus on one (which may be familiar) called "Elements of Fiction Writing - Description", and it's by Monica Wood. It's part of a "collection" of writing books, but serves just fine as a standalone. Good stuff, I tell you. Description is vital in many novels, and depending on how you use it, how much you use it or how little, makes a world of difference.

Of course, there are times when I've seen people use too little, but there are also times I've seen them overdo it! Oh, gracious me, yes! There's got to be balance and relevance.

I had noticed that a lost of my slightly older novels had some pretty good description, but "The Dawnwolf" was lacking the amount it so very direly needed. In the second edit, that will be one of my main priorities. Isn't it all of ours?

P.S. Have you seen my word count? It's up over 3,000! See what editing can do to your numbers?
Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment