Thursday, November 1, 2012

FireHeart - Pride Meets Humility (NaNoWriMo 2012)

So it begins! Are you ready? It's okay, you have all month, but that excuse can only last for so long.
Throughout the month, I'll be posting encouragement and tips for all you guys marching into the battle with me.
First one: I salute you. You took the first step. Keep going and don't stop. That's not a suggestion, it's an order, private!

You were probably wondering what exactly I'm doing this year, even if I did post something about changing my mind, but who's to say I didn't change my mind again?
Well, me. I didn't change my mind! I'm writing an inspirational novel, and something totally different from not only The Dawnwolf, but everything else I've ever written. And I'm excited. Here's the summary!

Meet Sonja Leoni, the 21-year-old lead singer of a rock-pop band called FireHeart at the top of the billboards. Her life with the band
is everything you’d expect from the excitement of mainstream fame; the fans, the paparazzi, and that one irksome band member, namely, Jared Augustine, who makes it quite clear he has a thing for her.
But when she stumbles upon writer’s block for the next album, an unexpected offer of help is extended from a simple guitar-wielding individual she had bumped into a couple months before. This young man, Axle Garrett, an open-minded follower of Christ with a heart of integrity, proves his worth in the position of a secondary guitarist and backup songwriter, despite their drastic differences. But Sonja’s decision to permit Axle assistance, forget flipping her world around—it downright takes her from it as she is tossed into a life-changing experience that she never knew she’d face. What’s worse; hatred rises as Jared grows increasingly envious of Axle.


You may have seen me state it before, but I think there's something for everyone here in this novel. The genre is Christian Contemporary Fiction, or otherwise inspirational, as I just said. But don't get me wrong...I'm not attempting to force my beliefs upon you. Not at all. Certainly, it is my hope that if you should read this after I publish it, that it may spark some curiosity, but its your choice whether to pursue it or not. Just enjoy the story! I will not get into arguments with you either. If you have questions regarding this subject, however, feel free to ask them, publicly or privately--your choice.

This novel is named after the starring band, FireHeart, and it's an entirely original story, inspired by the people around me, all of whom are highly influential in my life. Naming no names, of course, but you and I both know that many characters gain traits from people we know, or even ourselves. Better not to make the character like you, but hey, sometimes it happens.
This novel is not full of preaching and condemnation toward nonbelievers. In fact, I'm certain the novel will show that nonbelievers are still loved. The theme of this novel is when humility confronts pride, in both Christians and nonbelievers, and finds a way to replace the prideful nature with one of humility. The pseudo-subtitle of FireHeart is Pride Meets Humility. Sometimes humble people just don't understand prideful people. Well, sometimes prideful people just don't understand humble people either! As Axle Garrett is thrown into a mix of different kinds of pride among each member of this mainstream rock-pop band, in his curiosity, he realizes that these people are not so very different from him, and they certainly don't really have it all together like they seem to. He ventures deeper into their hearts to unveil their hidden secrets. All the while, Sonja discreetly seeks to figure out just how and where the puzzle pieces of Axle's heart fit together. One big life lesson learned by all, but how does it turn out in the end?
This novel is not a fluffy ponyride. I'm gonna get as gritty as I feel is right without appearing to glorify something I don't mean to.
Alcohol, drugs, obsession, pain, jealousy, hatred... In this story, stuff gets real--and fast.

I really felt led to write this, just like with The Dawnwolf. The plot developed swiftly and beautifully, just like the characters. When a novel idea blooms this fast, it's a keeper!  If you're having trouble with your novel, maybe it needs marinating time, or, maybe an epiphany is just around the corner.
Sometime this week, I'll post the four main characters and their descriptions, like I did last year. Until then, happy writing!
Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment