Thursday, November 22, 2012

30 Covers 30 Days - Winner of Day 20

Me again. Two posts in the same day. Well technically this should have been posted 2 days ago, and technically it's day 22 of 30 Covers 30 Days, but I didn't know I had won the cover until today, when a fellow NaNoer PMed me congratulating me.
Thank you, fellow NaNoer!I wouldn't have wanted to be the last to know!
By the way, for those of you who don't know, 30 Covers 30 Days is an event that runs through the NaNoWriMo challenge. 30 lucky Wrimos are picked to have their novel covers created by a professional. Each day, the winner is picked and the cover is posted. I won day 20! Out of millions of users out there, I was one of 30 who got picked. Wow, what an honor, really!

Here's the link to the one that was created for me: http://blog.lettersandlight.org/post/36147317396/30-covers-30-days-2012-day-20

The picture of Jesus is a lovely, traditional looking painting (not at all fitting to my time period), yet kind of blurry, and the border and cover font look like they were done on Microsoft Paint.
Okay...but let me get this straight. I'm not gonna say I don't appreciate that someone actually considered my novel, and many actually loved my synopsis (which as you'll see is slightly outdated because I've since altered the story, that's my bad!), it's just that even though I could very well create a cover myself, I was hoping to see someone do better than I could.
This cover might be just fine if you were reading about Catholic history, perhaps, but if you've been following me long enough, you probably know that my novel is not about that. If you read all the comments on the post I just linked to, that will sum up the gist of it; Axle is not Christ, but a follower of Christ. Christ is the heart of the novel, but not in an up-in-your-face kind of way like the cover suggests.
When you read the synopsis, you see there's a group of young rockstars in a modern world living the dream. Then you add the bassist in, who unexpectedly changes all of their lives. That's FireHeart, summed up in a rather un-profound way, but still. This cover hardly reflects that.
To put it very simply, I just don't think this would attract many people in the bookstore. I would also move on to the next book if I saw this, and I probably wouldn't even bother to look at the back.
I know, the designer and I didn't actually meet face-to-face to create this cover, but I'm a little startled at the lack of imagination here. I'm not saying Jennifer Morla has a lacking imagination though--she probably has a reason for this. Maybe she did like it, but if not, I'd imagine maybe her schedule was too cramped, maybe she was out of time, or perhaps she wasn't really familiar with this idea and wasn't 100% sure what to do with it. I'm little puzzled, but I suppose this is just how the world works sometimes. I really do appreciate that I got picked. I'm not complaining here. Believe me, I'm actually quite ecstatic! This is better than not getting picked at all. I'm happy I took this opportunity, and thankful that someone took the time to do this, whether they wanted to or not. I do hope I don't sound overly critical, I just felt like I needed to get my point across.


With that, I'm out! Thanks for your support, by the way--that's another thing I'm thankful for on this day!
Wolf


No comments:

Post a Comment