Friday, August 19, 2011

NaNoWriMo Novel: Midori the Green Wolf

........What are you thinking about right now? You've just seen the title of this post. Somethin' about a green wolf called Midori...
WELL! That's the name of my novel! As the title suggests, it's about a green wolf. His name is Midori (I'm aware this is a girl's name, yes. XD), and that's the Japanese word for green. By the way, this novel IS set in Japan, or a different version of it.
The gist of it is, there's an evil fog engulfing the beautiful land, and when Midori is born to a regular pack of wolves in the clan of the Yama Inu Forest, (which lies at the base of the Ookami Mountains) his parents are quite perplexed, but do not abandon him.
Six months later, he's out playing by himself, when suddenly, a band of warrior wolves from the Yami Plain invade the forest, apparently targeting him. After his father protects him, he is forced to flee from the forest as fast as his legs can carry him.
However, the dark fog has already spread to the central Nippon Field, and after witnessing the sun shattering into thousands of pieces, he accidentally gets caught up in it, passing out.
A little, flying, sprite-pixie thing (or a fairy) named Taiyou finds him there a after nearly a year, and he is strangely not frozen like the other creatures caught up in it. She manages to wake him up and pull him (with difficulty) out of the fog, and explains to him that something has happened to the sun goddess, Amaterasu, whom she was a messenger of, previously.
Midori is informed that he was blessed by the goddess's power and was able to withstand the force of the cursed fog all this time, and Taiyou tells him that he's the one she was told to seek, and that he is responsible for dispelling this horrible fog.
Together they return to the Yama Inu Forest, where the Temple of Yuki sits, guarded by Midori's grandfather, Isamu. But instead of finding the guardian, they instead stumble upon a phony priestess to reveals herself to actually be a terrible nine-tailed fox, which they must defeat.
With difficulty, they manage, and then all of a sudden, a kagami (mirror) known as the Golden Power of Takamagahara appears and comes to Midori, accepting him as its wielder and allowing him to use its godly power to smite evil.
Taiyou explains that it can be both a weapon and a shield, and she tells them that there are two other pieces of it he needs to get before he can fully master its power.
The sun returns to this area and pierces the darkness, breaking the evil fog away from this one area, and Isamu returns. He is shocked to see him again and tells him that he should check on the others in the pack, while he attends to making sure the gods are all right, or something like that.
Midori does as told, and he finds that his mother is quite ill. Before she passes out, she says that Midori's two siblings were taken by the Warriors of the Yami Plain, and she begs him to find them. He agrees, then takes her to her father (Isamu) and leaves her in his care as he sets off.
The rest of the story continues with him meeting new people and animals alike, dispelling the fog, and so on. It's quite an epic adventure, indeed!

And I admit it is greatly inspired by Okami, the video game by Capcom. But only a few aspects, I suppose; there's no Okami Amaterasu, celestial brush, or any obnoxious, perverted Poncle named Issun!!! Man, I can't stand that guy... I was hoping that Ammy would eat him already, but then I'd get utterly lost in the game. -_-
But anyway! Did you know that a lot of the game is actually inspired by Japanese fairytales and the Shinto religion's mythology? Amaterasu, Yamata no Orochi, Susano-o... and same goes for the mirror, rosary and glaive; all three of those divine items were offered to Amaterasu to try and coax her out of the cave that she had retreated to when her brother, Susano-o, had disrespected her terribly (and was thus cast from Takamagahara, A.K.A the High Plain of the Heavens, or something to that extent). After hiding there, she hid the sun as well, and that was a big problem...
Susano-o had to defeat the maiden-devouring Yamata no Orochi in order to make it up to Amaterasu, I think, but I don't really remember the details. XD
I don't believe in myths, though, they're just interesting to read about: especially Greek myths!

So, that said, I suppose that "Midori the Green Wolf" is inspired by Shinto mythology, and a little bit of Okami itself. I learned most of it from Okami first, after all. XD

And THAT, my friend, is my NaNoWriMo novel! "Midori the Green Wolf". After I finish it, I will hopefully meet my word count goal and win NaNoWriMo, and claim my free code for CreateSpace! I'll get my own free copy of my book and sell my novel on Amazon, too, and like I said on my other blog, I plan to paint the cover image of my novel. It'll be great!!

Until next time! I'll keep you updated on the latest!

Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment