Friday, November 26, 2010

NaNoWriMo is near conclusion...

...In only four days! For those of you who are cutting it close or just don't think you'll make it all, I say: Don't give up! Just keep writing, whether it makes sense or not! Don't correct spelling errors along the way, unless its tying two words together on accident and making only one!
My novel had ended at least three or four times before I restarted it over and over during this month, and events are arranged perfectly to make no sense whatsoever, but that's where editing and revising comes in later; after this month, of course.
As much as you might think your novel is a useless piece of junk after an exhausting month of writing like mad, with some time, patience and organization, it can be made into something nice and tidy. I, myself, am a bit of a hasty person sometimes, so I don't normally have the patience to edit my novels before I suddenly get the grand idea of rewriting it.
Yes, well, you should really learn to cope with what's already there, but sometimes you do have to rewrite EVERYTHING.
And if it still looks bad when you finish, do it again and again and again until you're satisfied. Then go and publish it, or share it to friends only, or just keep it to yourself or, maybe, your family.
My novel, Feng Song, is a huge mess of spelling errors and a surprisingly low amount of grammar errors! It's, as is said, a big mishmash of strange events, though most are actually quite interesting, like when Cheng the panda makes Kiang look like a fool, or when a boy washes up on the beach after drifting for more than a day, or when Feng herself finds out she... spoiler alert! ERROR, RRRRRRNT, stopping. :D I will say no more. My novel has a lot of surprises, twists and turns, an odd plot, some terribly awkward situations, some confusions that are figured out later, unexpected betrayals...
Well, actually my summary shows none of that. The novel itself, what it is turning out to be, is way more than a summary can ever explain! So much is going on, so you can imagine editing and revising will make it even better!
I used rough translations for names and words, the characters act like a bunch of crazy modern-day people (especially one particular character named Tao), the "Chinese" and "Japanese" feel is totally not there, and the animals act unrealistic, but that can be changed.
So, why not make your novel that awesome? Not by copying, of course; that will only bring one thumb down into two thumbs down. ;D
However, don't be discouraged; this is only what should happen AFTER NaNoWriMo! For now, just focus on reaching that word count! While doing a good job, if you can! XD
I've got many years of writing experience, and if you're new to this, just keep it up. If you're hearts in it, you'll blossom, bud. XD

So that concludes the novel ramble for today! Ah, yes, and I'm 52,ooo words or so closer to 6o,ooo!
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment